Jeremy and I are having small adventures in building our new computer. First, we planned to replace all the guts, but keep the case. After some tomfoolery with getting the motherboard, Big Ben and I put together the computer on Sunday. Mostly. It would have helped if I'd remembered that I kept getting mildly zapped by this case when I'd reach behind it to mess with the back. Some kind of grounding problem. Wouldn't turn on with the new parts.
On Ben's advice, I put the whole thing together SANS case on Monday, to make sure that at least the parts themselves work. The power supply doesn't, but our old one will hold us over until we can get that sorted.
The case should come in today (huzzah, Amazon Prime's two-day shipping), so Jeremy and I went ahead and installed Ubuntu on our caseless, guts-spilled-across-our-breakfast-bar computer last night. Had to install from an old 10th edition CD, but we'll update it to 13.whatever once it's connected to the internet.
All our old libraries are on a borrowed, portable hard drive. We have made the pact that nothing is to be transferred back to our new computer without first evaluating it for relevancy (do we still need it, is it a duplicate file), then sorting it into its proper home. We have bad habits in our file management, but we can sort that.
So! Our computer is a computer. Soon, it will even look like one.
No comments:
Post a Comment